BLAM – the annual meeting at the Department of Biology
6–7 April 2022
The Biology in Lund Annual Meeting (BLAM) brings together the entire Department of Biology during a two-day conference where we present and discuss our science. A committee consisting of PhD students organise the meeting.
In addition to organising the meeting, the PhD students at the department also give all the talks and invite internationally esteemed researchers to give plenary talks. These talks will highlight diverse and interdisciplinary topics in the field of biology that are of broad interest to biologists in Lund. The invited speakers will also share experiences that have been important to the development of their careers and defined them as researchers.
The PhD students' presentations are directed to all people doing research in the department irrespective of research areas.
Together with representatives from the department, the invited speakers will participate as judges and determine the winners of the best presentation in each category.
Besides presentations and posters, the conference also offers workshops primarily intended for doctoral students but also workshops on supervising themes for postdocs, senior researchers, and teachers.
All presentations and posters are in English. Participation in a presentation or poster can earn 1.5 credits towards the doctoral education, flash talk does not give credits.
BLAM includes an evening networking event and concludes with a dazzling banquet.
Who can participate?
Everyone in the Department of Biology is encouraged to participate, technical and administrative personnel included. Only doctoral students present their research.
Different types of presentations
- Presentations by doctoral students, max 12 minutes followed by 3 minutes of questions, discussion, and comments
- We accept presentations in PowerPoint, Keynote or PDF format. Submit your abstract with your registration
- Prize Best oral presentation: Travel grant of SEK 10,000
- How to give a good talk
- 3 minutes long, followed by one audience question
- Present an idea, it is not necessary to include specific data or results
- Prize Best flash talk: Travel grant of SEK 5,000
- Mount your poster at the start of the conference in portrait format: A0 (841 X 1189 mm). Please contact the organising committee if you would like to present in a different format.
- You will be allocated a space and offered the material necessary (the main poster session will be during the coffee break on the 2nd day of the conference)
- Prize Best poster: Travel grant of SEK 10,000
A jury of five people, including the two invited guests, selects prize-winners in the categories “Best oral presentation”, “Best flash talk” and “Best poster presentation”. The prizes are preferable to be used within a year and, at the latest, before the public defence of the doctoral thesis.
E-post: Sara [dot] Winterfeldt [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se
Telephone: +46 46 222 37 45
E-mail: Johannes [dot] Rousk [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se
This year's organisers are:
- Sara Winterfeldt, Sara [dot] Winterfeldt [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se
- Dániel Tájmel, Daniel [dot] Tajmel [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se
- Karla Iveth Aguilera Campos Karla_Iveth [dot] Aguilera_Campos [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se
- Katie Laschanzky Katie [dot] Laschanzky [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se
- Ashish Ahlawat Ashish [dot] Ashish [dot] 6033 [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se