Your browser has javascript turned off or blocked. This will lead to some parts of our website to not work properly or at all. Turn on javascript for best performance.

The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Employment as a doctoral student

Who can I turn to as a doctoral student? For any general questions about your doctoral studentship, contact the human resources administrator responsible for your unit. You can also ask your supervisor.

The following contains information on what rules apply for employment as a doctoral student at the Department of Biology. Please note that this information is general. For information that applies to you specifically, you should contact your human resources administrator.

Your responsibility

It is the responsibility of the doctoral student together with the supervisor to ensure that applications for a salary increase are submitted when the necessary credits have been earned. The form "Application for new salary level for holders of a doctoral studentship" (you find it at LU's HR-web, the website is in Swedish but there is a form in English) is submitted to the human resources administrator to be signed by the head of the department. The doctoral student’s salary is increased in stages according to a salary ladder on completion of 60 credits, 120 credits and 180 credits respectively. The faculty has decided that these credits are not to be defined arbitrarily by the supervisor, but are to be calculated as 30 credits = one semester of full-time activity within postgraduate studies. Teaching time is thus not included in the basis for the salary increase.

When do I get the new salary?

Please note that the salary increase takes place the month following the achievement of the necessary credits, for example, if the credits are completed on 3 March, the new salary level will apply as of 1 April. In addition, the salary increase can only be paid out retroactively for 6 months. Should the doctoral student forget to request a salary increase on completion of a stage, leading to the need to pay the increase retroactively for more than 6 months, the doctoral student, together with the Principal Supervisor, must provide a written explanation for the delay. This written statement is then to be submitted to the Human Resources Administrator for approval by the Head of Department.

For those of you who are employed as a doctoral student, from 2020 at the Department of Biology, your holiday is laid out in the same way as a teacher's holiday starting on the first Monday after midsummer. Then you have to check with your supervisor when you can take a vacation. If you want your vacation for another period, before 30 April, you must plan together with your unit manager for at least 20 vacation days and the number that does not generate more than 30 saved vacation days accumulated. You then register yourself in Primula by 30 April, and all holidays must be granted by the manager in advance.

When a doctoral student is admitted, he or she is automatically registered in Ladok.

However, the courses that the doctoral student attends and completes within his or her postgraduate studies must be reported in Ladok. Ensure that the courses are reported as soon as possible after completion. Check regularly that all completed courses are registered in Ladok. Use this form to register courses and other credit giving activities in LADOK (pdf, 153 kB, new tab). Send the filled out and signed form to Anna Lindkvist or Annika Hector.

Ladok for third-cycle studies at Lund University's central Staff Pages

Ladok registration

Aquatic Ecology, Biodiversity, Molecular Cell Biology

Anna Lindkvist
Financial Administrator
Department of Biology

Telephone: +46 46-222 78 50
E-mail: Anna [dot] Lindkvist [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se

Evolutionary Ecology, Functional Zoology, MEMEG

Annika Hecktor
Financial Administrator
Department of Biology

Save your documentation

All documentation to support the extension of the doctoral scholarship is to be submitted to the Human Resources Administrator at least one month before the current appointment comes to an end. Documentation covering at least 5 working days is required for an extension of your appointment to be granted.

It is advisable to keep records of time spent caring for a sick child, illness, parental leave, student union activities, work placement assignments and teaching. You must submit documentation to the Human Resources Administrator as evidence of student union activities (minutes or documents) and work placement activities in order to be granted an extension on these grounds.

Please contact the Human Resources Administrator if you have any questions.

Extension for what?

When your doctoral scholarship expires, apply for an extension with the Human Resources Administrator. The following applies to extensions according to the Faculty of Science:

The doctoral scholarship is extended on an hour for hour basis. Your employment is extended by the number of hours you spent teaching.
Elected positions within union organisations and student organisations and work placement responsibilities
The doctoral scholarship is extended in accordance with the Faculty guidelines for extension of various positions. Contact the Human Resources Administrator for more detailed information.
The doctoral scholarship is extended for a number of days equal to those of the illness. Absence due to illness is reported in Primula Web (more information about sick leave at the central Staff Pages); this then constitutes the documentation for the extension of the doctoral scholarship.
Parental leave
To be granted parental leave, you must apply for it on a special Form for Authorised Leave (at the central Staff pages) which is to be submitted to the Human Resources Administrator and then signed by the Head of Department.
Childcare, temporary parental allowance.
The doctoral scholarship is extended for a number of days equal to those spent at home with a sick child and for which you received a temporary parental allowance. To qualify for an extension, you must report childcare/temporary parental allowance in Primula Web. You must also report childcare/temporary parental allowance to the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan).

HR administrators

Sara Bengtsson
HR Administrator
Department of Biology

Telephone: +46 46-222 93 50
E-post: Sara [dot] Bengtsson [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se

Ewa Kralik
HR Administrator
Department of Biology

E-mail: Ewa [dot] Kralik [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se

Adam Niekrasz
HR Administrator
Department of Biology

Telephone: +46 46-222 02 85
E-mail: Adam [dot] Niekrasz [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se

Izabella Sec
HR Administrator
Department of Biology

Telephone: +46 46-222 79 21
E-mail: Izabella [dot] Sec [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se