Results & Dissemination
Dissemination workshop "Soil as natural capital, promoting soil ecosystem services for a sustainable future", at DG Environment, Brussels, February 29 2012. For more information and presentations, see "workshops" below.
Download policy briefs:
- Soil as natural capital (pdf; 681 kB)
- Soils and retention of nutrients (pdf; 1.1 MB)
- Soil biodiversity and agriculture (pdf; 1.1 MB)
SoilService project reports
- Final Report of Soil Service 2012 (pdf; 5.1 MB)
- Summary of the Final Report (pdf; 62 kB)
- Summary of Periodic Report 2011 (pdf; 1 MB)
- Summary of Periodic Report 2010 (pdf; 2 MB)
- Summary of Periodic Report 2009 (pdf; 1.8 MB)
Results from the soilservice project was presented as a symposia at the Ecosummit conference in Columbus Ohio, October 2012. Download programme here (pdf; 352 kB)
Soil, Climate Change and Biodiversity – Where do we stand?
On 23rd and 24th September 2010, the Environment Directorate-General and the Joint Research Centre of the European Commission hosted a conference on the relationship between soil, climate change and biodiversity. Preliminary results from Soilservice was presented and the conference was also the occasion to present the study Soil biodiversity: functions, threats and tools for policy makers carried out on behalf of the Environment Directorate-General and for launching the European Atlas of Soil Biodiversity prepared by the Joint Research Centre, where participants in Soilservice have been involved.
11th ICZEGAR 2009
Members from Soilservice will present A computer-aided estimation of Nematode body size and biomass (pdf) on the 11th International Congress on the Zoogeography and Ecology of Greece and adjacent regions.
Soilservice organised a session at a joint meeting of the EURECO-GFOE 2008, in Leipzig, Germany. The topic of our session was:
Agriculture, nature and biodiversity: trade-offs between ecosystem goods and services?
ACES - A conference on Ecosystem services
Soil service also participated in ACES "A conference on Ecosystem services" in Florida US, Dec 2008.
During the project period SOILSERVICE organised 3 workshops where scientists, policymakers and end users were invited to participate in dissemination of the research activities.
Soil diversity and ecosystem services - how can we value services and identify threats to soil sustainability? 27-29 January 2009, Wageningen, the Netherlands.
Threats of land use change and urbanisation on soil ecosystem services. 1-2 February 2010, Lammi Biological Station, Finland.
Soil biodiversity and soil ecosystem services - quantification, valuation and implementation in policies. 31 May – 1 June 2011, Rauischholzhausen Castle near Giessen, Germany
Organizers: Dr. Stefan Hotes and Prof Volkmar Wollters, Justus Leibig University, Giessen, Germany
Presentations from the workshop:
- Katarina Hedlund (SOILSERVICE): Introduction to the SOILSERVICE project and links to policy (pdf; 6.4 MB)
- Mark Brady (SOILSERVICE): Soil ecosystem services and farmers economy, is our future natural capital at risk? (pdf; 2.6 MB)
- Inge van Oost (DG Agri): EU agricultural policy and how to promote a sustainable agriculture (pdf; 4.3 MB)
- Stefan Hotes (SOILSERVICE): Scenarios for future land use and implications for soil ecosystem services (pdf; 2.7 MB)
- Christoph Sahrbacher (SOILSERVICE): Agricultural land use in response to future policies and scenarios (pdf; 2.2 MB)
- Franciska De Vries (SOILSERVICE): Climate change and intensified agriculture- effects on soil ecosystem services (pdf; 8.5 MB)
- Tina D’Hertefeldt (SOILSERVICE): Bioenergy crops and potential for improving soil ecosystem services (pdf; 3.3 MB)
- Maria Tsiafouli (SOILSERVICE): Soil biodiversity and intensified agriculture (pdf; 17 MB)
- Luca Marmo (DG Environ): Soil ecosystem services and the EU soil strategy (pdf; 2.6 MB)
- Wim van der Putten (SOILSERVICE): Summary of the discussions and suggestions to go forward (pdf; 71 kB)
Soil as natural capital
A round table discussion with the Soilservice project at at the European Parliament, Brussels, November 23, 2011
Activities promoting the EU soil strategy. Soilservice project results presented by EEA in a policy brief to influence a future EU Soil Directive.
Download policy briefs: