Design and layout rules for doctoral theses
- Instructions and templates for the appearance of the document data sheet are provided on Lund University Library's (UB) web.
- In connection with the list of the papers included in the thesis, the thesis is also to include a list of the doctoral student’s contributions to the various papers, as well as those of the co-authors. The following sentence is to appear here “All authors in the list of papers have given their consent for the use of their work in the thesis”.
- The thesis is to be fully paginated (regardless of the pagination of the papers included in the thesis).
- The summarising introduction is to be written using the Adobe Garamond Pro font or, if it includes many symbols, Times New Roman. Here are the guidelines for the comprehensive summary of the thesis ("Kappan") (pdf, 47 kB, new tab).
- No designations of Units or research teams are to appear on the cover or the title page. The only designation allowed is "Department of Biology, Lund University" with no variations.
- The thesis is given two ISBN numbers according to the Lund University's regulations on the central library website.
- The cover must follow Lund University’s graphic profile as specified in the graphic manual on the Lund University Staff Pages. In order to facilitate this, there are prepared grid templates in Indesign for the cover, available for download from the Lund University's image bank (log in with your LUCAT identity). The templates are accompanied by a couple of examples and a description of the different elements in the template that can be useful to look at even if you decide not to use the template itself. Media-Tryck (the printer) also has a number of examples of possible cover designs. The front cover of the thesis is to:
- feature the partial seal of the University in the bottom right-hand corner,
- have the title in a white text box with the stated font including a bronze-coloured line (see the graphic manual),
The back cover of the thesis is to have:
- a complete University seal in the bottom left-hand corner,
- an address block in the bottom right-hand corner
- a list of the papers included in the thesis.
If you have questions concerning the graphic profile, please address them to the graphic profile officers at Lund University or, if they are more general questions on the design of the thesis, to Media-Tryck, the printer.
Media-Tryck can help with the typesetting and design of the thesis if you wish, but in that case, remember to start on this in good time. They have information on printing theses; they also offer a course, “Writing, formatting and delivering a thesis in ready-to-print PDF format” which can be helpful on the road to a completed thesis.
Please note that the rules concerning the appearance of the thesis apply regardless of the printing company used to produce it.
Directors of Postgraduate Studies
Telephone: +46 46 222 37 67
E-mail: Per [dot] Lundberg [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se
Telephone: +46 46 222 40 79
E-mail: Emma [dot] Kritzberg [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se