The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

New employment rules come into force on the first of October

The basis of the legislation is that permanent employment becomes an even stronger norm and fixed-term employment is more quickly converted to permanent employment. The time is 1 year of fixed-term employment instead of the previous 2 years and is counted retroactively from the first of March this year.

What do the new rules mean for our various employment types?

General fixed-term employment (ALVA)

These employments apply according to old rules as long as the employment contract stipulates. If you renew a contract, the new rules for Special fixed-term employment (SÄVA) apply, and the employment is converted to permanent employment after 1 year. You count the time from 1 March 2022.

Interim agreements (IÖ) - hourly employment

These are directly affected by the new rules and all existing IÖ agreements are automatically terminated on 30 September. New agreements must be written according to the updated legislation. The same SÄVA conversion rules also apply to hourly employment with the addition that if you work at least three days a month, all time between the first and last working day is counted as employment time. This means that you become permanently employed much faster than before. The university has decided that agreements may be signed for a maximum of 4 months at a time because we have to count on LAS time more often.

A special email regarding which IÖ we are going to write about has gone out to all hourly adjusters.

Other types of employment

There are two types of employment that do not generate LAS time and apply to students who work, student employees and amanuens employment which could be alternatives to hourly employment.

More about Special fixed-term employment

On HR-webben you can read more about the rules for Special fixed-term employment – Särskild visstidsanställning (in Swedish).