Apply to GENECO
GENECO is a two-year programme hosted by the Faculty of Science at Lund University. The programme is open to PhD students who are already enrolled at the Faculty of Science at Lund University (free or charge) as well as at any other faculties and universities (for a fee).
What do we offer?
- A stimulating environment to meet and network with other PhD students and scientists working at the interface between ecology, evolution, molecular biology, genomics, and bioinformatics
- A variety of advanced PhD courses (which give graduate education credits)
- The opportunity to attend an international two-week workshop in genomics, open to PhD students and advisors
- Two annual meetings on selected topics where PhD students can present their own research and meet invited speakers
- Opportunity to apply for travel grants to cover a research stay at a foreign laboratory.
- Opportunity to enroll in courses or visit labs of our collaborative partners
A GENECO PhD student is expected to attain the following skill set:
- A broad understanding of the many genomic techniques available and the kinds of research questions they can be used to answer
- An ability to design research projects using genomic techniques to answer questions in the field of Genomic Ecology
- An ability to critically evaluate their own research as well as that of other researchers in the field of Genomic Ecology
- An ability to clearly and concisely communicate their research ideas to both laypeople and other research scientists
- Leadership and project management skills to be applied to a career inside and outside of Academia
- Personal development skills that enable creativity and the ability to formulate concepts
What are the minimum requirements for PhD students to graduate?
- Enrollment at a Swedish University
- Membership of GENECO for a minimum of two years
- Attendance of at least three GENECO meetings (Summer and/or Winter meetings)
- Presentation of your research project at an annual meeting
- Attendance of at least 10 GENECO course days. These course days must encompass at least one data-based practical course, such as the Cesky Krumlov Worshop on Genomics, that give students hands-on experience with genomic data
Please fill in the form below.
Telephone:+46 46 222 49 96
E-mail: Bengt [dot] Hansson [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se
Questions regarding GENECO courses
Telephone:+46 46 222 37 22
E-mail: Emily [dot] Oconnor [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se
Telephone:+46 46 222 17 83
E-mail: Olof [dot] Hellgren [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se
Questions regarding administration, economy and other practical issues
Department of Biology
Telephone:+46 46 222 96 14
E-mail: Christina [dot] Rengefors [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se