Master's programme in Bioinformatics
New Master's student 2019: Information (pdf)
Bioinformatics is an interdisciplinary field that develops methods and software tools for understanding biological data. It combines biology, computer science and statistics to analyze this data. New technologies in genomics and proteomics have revolutionized modern research in biology and medicine during the past decade. Scientific discovery now relies heavily on efficient handling and analysis of the enormous amount of data generated from wet lab experiments. The Bioinformatics programme trains students from different fields in the computational analysis of biological data.
The Bioinformatics programme combines research with training in current methods as well as the development of novel software tools. The programme makes extensive use of hands-on training.
The master's programme is organized by the Faculty of Sciences. The demand for qualified bioinformaticians still exceeds the supply. Graduates have a diverse set of employers to choose between, both in industry, health care and academia.
The first year includes the compulsory courses:
- BINP11 Bioinformatics and Sequence Analysis, 7.5 credits
- BINP16 Bioinformatics: Programming in Python, 7.5 credits
- BIOS13 Modelling Biological Systems, 7.5 credits
- BIOS14 Processing and Analysis of Biological Data, 7.5 credits
- BINP28 DNA Sequencing Informatics I, 7.5 credits
- BINP29 DNA Sequencing Informatics II, 7.5 credits
- The last period of the spring semester you can do an internship or a short research project, start your Master's degree project or take optional courses
The second year contains project and/or other optional courses i.e.
- BIOR59 Genetic Analysis I 7.5 credits and BIOR60 Genetic Analysis II 7.5 credits
- Research projects or applied work within bioinformatic
- Master's Degree Project of 30-60 credits
Courses corresponding to 120 credits, of which should encompass
- 60 cr. advanced level courses in Bioinformatics of which BINP11, BINP16, BIOS13, BIOS14, BINP28 and BINP29 are mandatory
- 30 cr. Degree project
- 30 cr. optional courses or continuation of Degree project
Degree awarded: Master (Two Years) in Bioinformatics
Telehone: +46 46-222 37 28
E-mail: Lotta [dot] Persmark [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se
Molecular Cell Biology
Telephone: 046-222 94 19
E-mail: Bjorn [dot] Canback [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se