Applied work in Biology
On this course you are supposed to get to know a workplace with research- or biological applications. You are expected to participate in the every-day’s routines of the workplace. The workplace must be approved by the course leader. By the end of the course, the work should be reported by a written report as well as an oral presentation. You are supposed to find a place for the applied work and contact a supervisor yourself. Please note that all the courses are at undergraduate level, but can be included in a Master's degree in Biology or Molecular Biology at Lund University as an optional course.
- BIOF20 Biologi: Praktik, 7.5 cr (5 weeks)
- BIOF05 Biologi: Praktik, 10 cr (8 weeks
- BIOF21 Biologi: Praktik, 15 cr (10 weeks)
- BIOF30 Biologi: Praktik, 30 cr (20 weeks)
The intention of the applied work is to get to know a workplace and to participate in such a large part of its business as possible. A supervisor at the workplace is responsible for organizing your work during the work period. You should plan the daily work in advance together with the supervisor. You must fill in the registration form (pdf) which should be signed by you and by the supervisor, and handed it in, together with the plan, to the course coordinator no later than the first day of the course. After about two weeks, you should contact the course leader and inform about the work progress. In the end of the course, a report should be submitted to the course leader.
Presentation of completed applied work
The final written report should be 2-3 pages long. It begins with a description of the workplace, and it’s activities and continues with a summary.of the operations you essentially have devoted yourself to. The report should conclude with an evaluation of the training period, which should be directed to future students. Indicate whether the work has been interesting, if you had the advantage of your biological knowledge, and which courses and skills have been most valuable for the work? You may add a few copies of the work schedule, pictures, illustrations, primary results or even a publication which you helped to create. Check with the supervisor, however, so that you do not include information that is confidential.
In addition, you shall make an oral presentation.
The course is approved by the course leader when the report and the oral presentation is approved and after having received a note from the supervisor certifying that the work has been performed in a satisfactory manner. Only the grade pass (or fail) is awarded.
It is not possible to include more than 30 cr of Applied work in a Biology or Molecular Biology Degree at Lund University.
- First contact the course leader to discuss the applied work place
- Hand in the registration form, signed by you and by the supervisor, and a preliminary plan to the course leader
- Short statement report to course leader after approximately two weeks (e-mail)
- Hand in the final report to course leader, together with a certificate from the supervisor
- Oral presentation
- BIOF20, BIOF05: 60 cr in natural sciences, including 30 credits In biology or molecular biology, is required
- BIOF21, BIOF30: 90 cr in natural sciences, including 60 credits In biology or molecular biology, is required
For Biology students
Lotta Persmark, Lotta [dot] Persmark [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se, Department of Biology, Ecology Building, Sölvegatan 37, 223 62 LUND. Tel. 046-222 37 28
For Molecular biology students
Christina Ledje, Christina [dot] Ledje [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se, Department of Biology, Ecology Building, Sölvegatan 37, 223 62 LUND, Tel. +46-46-222 73 16
Registrer through this form (pdf; kB)