GENECO is open to all PhD students at Nordic Universities that do research within Genomic Ecology. More than 130 PhD students, from seven different universities, have been enrolled in GENECO since we started in 2008.
GENECO is open to all PhD students at Nordic Universities that do research within genomic ecology. More than 130 PhD students, from seven different universities, have been enrolled in GENECO since we started in 2008. The research topics of the enrolled PhD students range from ecological and evolutionary studies with limited molecular techniques to in-depth genomic approaches in cellular pathways. The GENECO PhD students study a wide range of organisms, from bacteria and phytoplankton to fish and birds, and use a wide range of high throughput sequencing techniques and analyses.
We were recently awarded renewed funding from the Faculty of Science at Lund University and we are very pleased that GENECO will now run until 2023!
As a GENECO PhD student, you are expected to attain the following skills:
- Understanding genomic techniques and their research applications
- Ability to design genomic research projects
- Critical evaluation of research projects
- Ability to communicate research ideas
- Leadership and project management skills
- Creativity and the ability to formulate project vision/concepts
- Bengt Hansson – Professor, Director of Geneco
- Dag Ahrén – Senior Lecturer
- Olof Hellgren – Senior Lecturer
- Emily O'Connor – Postdoctoral fellow
- Christina Rengefors – Project assistant
- Annika Hecktor – Financial administrator
The GENECO programme previously included a Mentor Programme, which was run in collaboration with the MiL Institute. However, we have recently decided to replace this scheme with a course on academic productivity and stress management.
Telephone:+46 46 222 49 96
E-mail: Bengt [dot] Hansson [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se
Questions regarding GENECO courses
Telephone:+46 46 222 37 22
E-mail: Emily [dot] Oconnor [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se
Telephone:+46 46 222 17 83
E-mail: Olof [dot] Hellgren [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se
Questions regarding administration, economy and other practical issues
Department of Biology
Telephone: +46 46 222 96 14
E-mail: Christina [dot] Rengefors [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se
Department of Biology
Telephone: +46 46 222 92 12
E-mail: Annika [dot] Hecktor [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se