GENECO is open to all PhD students at Nordic Universities that do research within Genomic Ecology. More than 130 PhD students, from seven different universities, have been enrolled in GENECO since we started in 2008.
GENECO is open to all PhD students at Nordic Universities that do research within Genomic Ecology. More than 130 PhD students, from seven different universities, have been enrolled in GENECO since we started in 2008. The research topics of the enrolled PhD students range from ecological and evolutionary studies with limited molecular techniques to in-depth genomic approaches in cellular pathways. The GENECO PhD students study a wide range of organisms, from bacteria and phytoplankton to fish and birds, and use a wide range of high throughput sequencing techniques and analyses.
We were recently awarded renewed funding from the Faculty of Science at Lund University and we are very pleased that GENECO will now run until 2022!
As a GENECO PhD student, you are expected to attain the following skills:
- Understanding genomic techniques and their research applications
- Ability to design genomic research projects
- Critical evaluation of research projects
- Ability to communicate research ideas
- Leadership and project management skills
- Creativity and the ability to formulate project vision/concepts
- Bengt Hansson – Professor, Director of Geneco
- Dag Ahrén – Senior Lecturer
- Olof Hellgren – Senior Lecturer
- Emily O'Connor – Postdoctoral fellow
- Torbjörn Säll – Professor
- Annika Hecktor – Project assistant
GENECO has run seven full Mentor Programmes since 2008 in collaboration with MIL (www.milinstitute.se). It was an 18-month programme that ran in parallel with our research school. The Mentor Programme provided support in career choices, personal development, and networking. The PhD students could choose a mentor either from Academia, Industry, or a Governmental Agency.
As we do not know what is planned for the future of research schools within Lund University we will not continue with the Mentor Programmes.
Telephone:+46 46 222 49 96
E-mail: Bengt [dot] Hansson [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se
Questions regarding GENECO courses
Telephone:+46 46 222 37 22
E-mail: Emily [dot] Oconnor [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se
Telephone:+46 46 222 17 83
E-mail: Olof [dot] Hellgren [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se
Questions regarding administration, economy and other practical issues
Department of Biology
Telephone:+46 46 222 92 12
E-mail: Annika [dot] Hecktor [at] biol [dot] lu [dot] se