Please, visit my BLOG for lab news and blog posts!
About me: I did my PhD at Lund University in 1997-2003 After a Marie-Curie post-doctoral session at the University of Edinburgh, I returned to Lund University in 2006. I coordinate the collaborative project "Avian Genomics", and is a PI in MEEL and CanMove.
Main Research Themes: (i) How sex chromosomes evolve, (ii) how populations diverge and the processes of speciation, and (iii) the evolutionary consequences of hybridisation and range expansions.
Methods: We address these questions using population genetics, quantitative genetics and population genomics approaches.
- Most recent: Lancaster et al. (2016) Gene expression under thermal stress varies across a geographical range expansion front. Molecular Ecology
- Most cited (475 citations): Hansson & Westerberg (2002) On the correlation between heterozygosity and fitness in natural populations. Molecular Ecology
- Other: Asghar et al. (2015) Hidden costs of infection: Chronic malaria accelerates telomere degradation and senescence in wild birds. Science
Retrieved from Lund University's publications database
- Balance between inbreeding and outcrossing in a nannandrous species, the moss Homalothecium lutescens.
- Cross-continental migratory connectivity and spatiotemporal migratory patterns in the great reed warbler
- Detecting Polygenic Evolution: Problems, Pitfalls, and Promises.
- Gene expression under thermal stress varies across a geographic range expansion front.
- Multiple instances of paraphyletic species and cryptic taxa revealed by mitochondrial and nuclear RAD data for Calandrella larks (Aves : Alaudidae)
- Odonata (dragonflies and damselflies) as a bridge between ecology and evolutionary genomics
- Solutions for Archiving Data in Long-Term Studies: A Reply to Whitlock et al.
- Transcriptome profiling in the damselfly Ischnura elegans identifies genes with sex-biased expression
- Archiving Primary Data: Solutions for Long-Term Studies.
- Chronic infection. Hidden costs of infection: chronic malaria accelerates telomere degradation and senescence in wild birds.
- Disentangling the complex evolutionary history of the Western Palearctic blue tits (Cyanistes spp.) - phylogenomic analyses suggest radiation by multiple colonisation events and subsequent isolation.
- Evolutionary consequences of climate-induced range shifts in insects.
- Genetic diversity and population structure of the range restricted rock firefinch Lagonosticta sanguinodorsalis
- Inbreeding affects gene expression differently in two self-incompatible Arabidopsis lyrata populations with similar levels of inbreeding depression.
- Inferring the links between breeding and wintering grounds in a Palearctic-African migratory bird, the Great Reed Warbler, using mitochondrial DNA data
- Latitudinal shift in thermal niche breadth results from thermal release during a climate-mediated range expansion
- Maternal and genetic factors determine early life telomere length
- Population structure and genetic diversity in the nannandrous moss Homalothecium lutescens: does the dwarf male system facilitate gene flow?
- Selection and evolutionary potential of spring arrival phenology in males and females of a migratory songbird
- Strong maternal effects on gene expression in Arabidopsis lyrata hybrids.
- Assessing Multivariate Constraints to Evolution across Ten Long-Term Avian Studies.
- De novo transcriptome of Ischnura elegans provides insights into sensory biology, colour and vision genes
- Does inbreeding affect gene expression in birds?
- Dual phylogenetic origins of Nigerian lions (Panthera leo)
- Evaluating preservation medium for the storage of DNA in African lion Panthera leo faecal samples
- Individual Identification and Genetic Variation of Lions (Panthera leo) from Two Protected Areas in Nigeria.
- Intralocus sexual conflict over wing length in a wild migratory bird
- Microsatellite markers for population genetic studies of the rock firefinch, Lagonosticta sanguinodorsalis
- Pronounced Fixation, Strong Population Differentiation and Complex Population History in the Canary Islands Blue Tit Subspecies Complex
- Sexual selection and genetic colour polymorphisms in animals.
- The interplay between local ecology, divergent selection and genetic drift in population divergence of a sexually antagonistic female trait
- Annual cycle and migration strategies of a trans-saharan migratory songbird: a geolocator study in the great reed warbler.
- Gene-flow across the European crow hybrid zone - a spatial simulation
- Male-biased recombination in odonates: insights from a linkage map of the damselfly Ischnura elegans.
- Ontogenetic shifts in male mating preference and morph-specific polyandry in a female colour polymorphic insect
- Speciation genetics. Uncovering the genomic signatures of species differences in flycatchers.
- Strong Inbreeding Depression in Two Scandinavian Populations of the Self-Incompatible Perennial Herb Arabidopsis Lyrata
- Ancestral polymorphism at the major histocompatibility complex (MHCII ss) in the Nesospiza bunting species complex and its sister species (Rowettia goughensis)
- Evidence of a neo-sex chromosome in birds.
- Hybridization but no evidence for backcrossing and introgression in a sympatric population of great reed warblers and clamorous reed warblers.
- Patterns of molecular evolution of an avian neo-sex chromosome.
- Sex-biased gene expression on the avian z chromosome: highly expressed genes show higher male-biased expression.
- Vicariance divergence and gene flow among islet populations of an endemic lizard.
- A SVD-based classification of bird singing in different time-frequency domains using multitapers
- Environmental and climatic determinants of molecular diversity and genetic population structure in a coenagrionid damselfly.
- Introgression and rapid species turnover in sympatric damselflies
- Linking genetic mechanisms of heterozygosity-fitness correlations to footprints of selection at single loci
- Population genetic structure in the paddyfield warbler (Acrocephalus agricola Jerd.)
- Sex allocation in Savi’s Warblers Locustella luscinioides: multiple factors affect seasonal trends in brood sex ratios.
- Stable isotope ratios in winter-grown feathers of Great Reed Warblers Acrocephalus arundinaceus, Clamorous Reed Warblers A. stentoreus and their hybrids in a sympatric breeding population in Kazakhstan
- The influence of stochastic and selective forces in the population divergence of female colour polymorphism in damselflies of the genus Ischnura
- The sex-biased brain: sexual dimorphism in gene expression in two species of songbirds
- A genome-wide set of 106 microsatellite markers for the blue tit (Cyanistes caeruleus)
- A strong quantitative trait locus for wing length on chromosome 2 in a wild population of great reed warblers.
- Avian genome evolution: insights from a linkage map of the blue tit (Cyanistes caeruleus).
- Development of 12 polymorphic microsatellite loci in Ischnura elegans (Odonata: Coenagrionidae)
- Do microsatellites reflect genome-wide genetic diversity in natural populations? A comment on Väli et al. (2008).
- Island biology and morphological divergence of the Skyros wall lizard Podarcis gaigeae: a combined role for local selection and genetic drift on color morph frequency divergence?
- Low frequency of extra-pair paternity in Savi's Warblers (Locustella luscinioides)
- New methods to identify conserved microsatellite loci and develop primer sets of high cross-species utility - as demonstrated for birds
- Permanent Genetic Resources added to Molecular Ecology Resources Database 1 December 2009-31 January 2010
- Population size of lions in Yankari Game Reserve as revealed by faecal DNA sampling
- The use (or misuse) of microsatellite allelic distances in the context of inbreeding and conservation genetics.
- Why does dosage compensation differ between XY and ZW taxa?
- An analysis of population genetic differentiation and genotype-phenotype association across the hybrid zone of carrion and hooded crows using microsatellites and MC1R.
- Isolation and characterization of polymorphic microsatellite loci for the Skyros wall lizard Podarcis gaigeae (Squamata: Lacertidae)
- A microarray for large-scale genomic and transcriptional analyses of the zebra finch (Taeniopygia guttata) and other passerines
- An analysis of hatching success in the great reed warbler Acrocephalus arundinaceus
- Common cuckoo Cuculus canorus parasitism, antiparasite defence and gene flow in closely located populations of great reed warblers Acrocephalus arundinaceus
- Cross-species testing of 27 pre-existing microsatellites in Podarcis gaigeae and Podarcis hispanica (Squamata: Lacertidae)
- Dynamics of parasitemia of malaria parasites in a naturally and experimentally infected migratory songbird, the great reed warbler Acrocephalus arundinaceus
- Estimating heritabilities and genetic correlations: comparing the 'animal model' with parent-offspring regression using data from a natural population.
- Heterozygosity-fitness correlations within inbreeding classes: local or genome-wide effects?
- Identification of 20 polymorphic microsatellite loci in European crow (Corvus corone) from existing passerine loci
- Isotope signatures in winter moulted feathers predict malaria prevalence in a breeding avian host
- Postglacial colonisation patterns and the role of isolation and expansion in driving diversification in a passerine bird.
- Disentangeling the effects of inbreeding and other factors on hatching success in a passerine bird using Bayesian GLMMs
- Gene order and recombination rate in homologous chromosome regions of the chicken and a passerine bird
- Linkage mapping of AFLP markers in a wild population of great reed warblers: importance of heterozygosity and number of genotyped individuals
- Lost and found: the enigmatic large-billed reed warbler Acrocephalus orinus rediscovered after 139 years
- No evidence for inbreeding avoidance in a great reed warbler population
- Temporal dynamics and diversity of avian malaria parasites in a single host species
- Identification of 15 polymorphic microsatellite loci in the Principe seedeater (Serinus rufobrunneus) and assessment of their utility in nine other Serinus species (Fringillidae, Aves)
- Performance of marker-based relatedness estimators in natural populations of outbred vertebrates
- Selection for Heterozygosity Gives Hope to a Wild Population of Inbred Wolves
- Between-year variation of MHC allele frequencies in great reed warblers: selection or drift?
- Breeding synchrony does not affect extra-pair paternity in great reed warblers
- Do female great reed warblers seek extra-pair fertilizations to avoid inbreeding?
- Does linkage disequilibrium generate heterozygosity-fitness correlations in great reed warblers?
- Lifetime fitness of short- and long-distance dispersing great reed warblers
- Marker-based relatedness predicts egg-hatching failure in great reed warblers
- Molecular evidence of a reed warbler x great reed warbler hybrid (Acrocephalus scirpaceus x A-arundinaceus) in Belgium
- Observation of a ZZW female in a natural population: implications for avian sex determination
- A new approach to study dispersal: immigration of novel alleles reveals female-biased dispersal in great reed warblers
- Dispersal, inbreeding and fitness in natural populations
- Heritability of dispersal in the great reed warbler
- Hybridisation between great reed warblers Acrocephalus arundinaceus and clamorous reed warblers A. stentoreus: morphological and molecular evidence.
- Brief report - Isolation and cross-species amplification of microsatellite loci in the Siberian jay (Perisoreus infaustus)
- On the correlation between heterozygosity and fitness in natural populations
- Predictors of natal dispersal in great reed warblers: results from small and large census areas
- Restricted dispersal in a long-distance migrant bird with patchy distribution, the great reed warbler
- Brood sex ratios, female harem status and resources for nestling provisioning in the great reed warbler (Acrocephalus arundinaceus)
- Host specificity in avian blood parasites: a study of Plasmodium and Haemoproteus mitochondrial DNA amplified from birds
- Increase of genetic variation over time in a recently founded population of great reed warblers (Acrocephalus arundinaceus) revealed by microsatellites and DNA fingerprinting
- Partial albinism in a semi-isolated population of great reed warblers
- Patterns of nest predation contribute to polygyny in the Great Reed Warbler
- The quality and the timing hypotheses evaluated using data on great reed warblers
PhD and MSc students
PhDs, main supervisor
- Hanna Sigeman
- Jacinta Abalaka, University of Pretoria, South Africa
PhDs, assistant supervisor
- Martin Lundqvist
- Frederico Martin
- Rachael Dudaniec (Post-doc)
- Maja Tarka (PhD, Post-doc)
- Lesley Lancaster (Post-doc)
- Irene Pala (Post-doc)
- Maren Wellenreuther (Post-doc)
- Martin Stervander (PhD)
- Frida Rosengren (PhD)
- Yuan Li (PhD)
- Talatu Tende (PhD)
- Naglaa El-Arabany, Mansoura University, Egypt (PhD)
- Marcus Ljungkvist (PhD)